Friday, June 13, 2008

Strawberry pickin' on Sauvie Island

After much anticipation, I finally made it out to pick some of these highly-regarded Oregon strawberries. It was a beautiful day and I was able to see Sauvie Island for the first time in all of its glory. Not only is it scenic, but they have u-pick berry farms for $1.75 a pound!
Since this was my first berry picking experience, I needed to learn the ropes. After about 5 minutes, I was in my groove. It is still pretty early in the season so there were a lot of not-so-ripe berries, but there were some gems to be found. Here are some photos of the berries and the busy patch.


And the result of all my hardwork


Stay tuned for the resulting strawberry ice cream...yumm!
This was really just a warm up for my favorite berry of all time - the BLUEBERRY! I can't wait for July.

No comments: